Finding Common Ground (Coffee)

In my last post, I talked about different types of coffee you should try. This time, I want to explore the different coffee spots in Ann Arbor to visit. You could say that every coffee cafĂ© has its own little microculture, in that each shop comes with its own set of sub-culture (Babin/Harris, 2016, p.200). It’s about finding where you fit in based on certain preferences!

First, I have a bunch of coffee cafes where I love to study and do work. A calm ambience is key to finding a coffee place where you can actually get work done. You want it to be quiet enough that you can study, but not so silent that your work becomes looming. There is a bunch of research out there that actually says you are more productive while studying at coffee shops: https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/coffee-shops-are-where-you-should-be-studying

Lab Cafe is definitely on the top of my list for coffee spots to study in during the day. It has the best ecological factors, which help to draw in its customers (Babin/Harris, 2016, p.182). Lab never gets too crowded and is super spacious, so you can always find the perfect study spot. It also doesn’t get too loud, so it is easy to focus. Also, probably my reason for putting it on top of the list, is that the coffee there is amazing. So altogether, the perfect place to sit down, study, and grab that perfect latte.

http://www.secondwavemedia.com/concentrate/features/coffeehouseremoteworkannarbor0354.aspx

However, I know Lab can be a little intimidating for those of you who aren’t as coffee-obsessed as me or don’t care as much about the actual coffee. In that case, Starbucks or Espresso Royale are also great places to study and a little more accessible due to their central location on campus. The only negative to these, is that they can get a little bit crowded at times, so it’s not always easy to get a spot. Still, they are definitely convenient if you are in need of a quick cup of coffee while you get some work done.

Now, coffee cafes do not always need to be used for studying. I love certain places for socializing with friends or meeting with groups. One of my new favorite spots is Le Bon Macaron in downtown Ann Arbor. It is perfect for socializing because the cafĂ© does not offer wifi to discourage people from being on their electronics. Yes, I know this goes against the cultural norms of our millennial generation, but it actually turned out to be a nice change in pace (Angell, 2017). I was a little out of my comfort zone at first, but it turned out to be really refreshing not to have to check our phones every second. Not to mention the coffee menu is amazing, and it’s a French cafĂ© so they have some unique coffee flavor options.

https://lebonmacaron.com/portfolio-item/beverages-2/#top

Another new coffee cafĂ© on campus that is great for social activities is the Roasting Plant on State Street. The doors to the cafĂ© are all open giving it a light and airy atmosphere that is very inviting. They have this Javabot system, where coffee beans shoot through clear tubes across the ceiling, creating a lively and energetic space to have conversation. Also, I love the fact that you can choose the bean type when you get a cup of coffee. I’m still experimenting with the different flavors so I can’t say for certain which is my favorite yet.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/roastingplant/photos/?ref=page_internal

These are just a few of the many coffee cafes in Ann Arbor. A couple of honorable mentions that I missed are Literati, RoosRoast, and Mighty Good Coffee. Anyway, picking the right coffee shop for you is all about experimenting and finding the microculture which you are the most comfortable in. Personally, I love to change up my coffee spots and am always willing to try somewhere new!


Stop by next time if you want to learn some ways to substitute coffee drinking, in case your coffee addiction has gone too far!



Source(s):

Babin, B., & Harris, E. (2016). In CB 7 (7th ed., pp. 182-200). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.

Angell, A. (2017, October 18). Culture and Microcultures. Lecture presented at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I want to say I really enjoyed reading this post. I am personally not an expert in anything relating to coffee so I found it really interesting to hear about all the different spots on campus. Usually when I think of a coffee spot, the first thing that comes to mind is Starbucks. After reading about all the places you offered, I hadn't realized how important experiential value (Angell, 9/13/17) is when going to a coffee cafe. Like I said, I always go to Starbucks to do work, which is usually always crowded and noisy, so not such a great experience. Something I found especially fascinating that I would love to give a try is Le Bon Macaron. It's crazy to me that it does not offer any wifi, which is something I think I would love to experience when I need to relax or want to engage in conversation without distractions. It sounds like that place has high social value (Babin/Harris, 2016, p.157), due to the fact that if you go with a friend(s) you really can focus and listen without caring about what's going on within your phone. On the other hand, I don't think I would love to try Roasting Plant as I don't have a lot of experience in experimenting with coffee, therefore picking out my own bean seems slightly intimidating. One place you didn't touch on much, that I enjoy when it's nice outside, is Mighty Good Coffee. It's located on central campus and has great outdoor seating if you ever want to enjoy the weather or have a change of scenery. Overall, I would say your blog has really motivated me to want to experiment with coffee cafes and try out all the spots Ann Arbor has to offer. To end, I wanted to add a cool spot I found after doing my own research. This article is about Comet Coffee in Ann Arbor, which was apparently recognized in the NY Times as one of the coolest coffeehouses in the U.S. I hope you enjoy! Article: http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/ann-arbors-comet-coffee-recognized-as-one-of-americas-coolest-coffeehouses/

    Angell, A. (2017, September 13). CB Chapter 2 Value. Lecture Presented in University of Michigan in Ann Arbor

    Babin, B., & Harris, E. (2016). In CB 7 (7th ed., p. 157). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment